To pack or not to pack? That is the question.

I have made an unofficial list of the things I need to bring for my exchange-thanks to my handy dandy packing list notepad from my secret Santa this past Christmas. Aside from the hygienic, electronics, and documents I will be bringing, I always Always ALWAYS over pack clothes and footwear. I hesitate to bring too little in case there's something I really want to wear and its not there in my luggage or a garment I think I may potentially need and wish I had brought it. I tend to pack more than enough for the duration of my trips and end up bringing home unworn clothing. I don't know what to do with this issue, in addition, I know I will need room to bring back all the things I will have accumulated over the duration four and a half months. I know for sure I will be buying overseas- clothing at bargain able prices, but I'm still a student on a budget and should be living modestly.

Thank God for luggage restrictions and requirements, or else, I would lug my whole room half across the world. This trip will be the longest and farthest away from home and people have asked me, What am I going to bring to remember 'home'? I really don't know to be honest, but a photo album of my friends and family and different places sounds reasonable and practical while being memorable at the same time. I need to be wise in what I choose to bring and not bring, but its actually so hard to do so. When I get to Korea, it's Winter, and despite the locals wearing their parkas, I will probably be in a light winter jacket (after enduring -40, anything is bearable outside of Edmonton). About a month or so later, comes Spring, which calls for potential pleasant sunny weather, hence lightweight clothing. By the time I leave though, it will be forecasting high humidity, +30C and drip dropping sweat Summer weather.

I know I have been counting down, but to physically be in Hong Kong in a weeks' time seems a little bit overwhelming. I'm just really glad all my paperwork and appointments are nearly done so I can just focus on this difficult predeparture task now. I wish packing would be easier, and if I do bring an empty luggage (which I am most likely doing, unless I decide to buy a collaspible or cheap one in HK), I was forewarned that moving from one place to another and from hostels to dorms with two big luggages + carry-ons is a stressful matter in itself, and don't even mention walking uphill with all those things.

This will be the second hardest thing before I go, saying my goodbyes will be first.


All Aboard!