I can't believe I am taking off tomorrow. I should be use to this jet setting lifestyle I attempt annually, but there are always surprises...and forgetfulness.

I tend to start physically packing a week before I fly out, but with all the planning I've been doing, I actually made a list and test trial back in February to see if I was capable of just having carry on only-call me crazy I know! Reason being is, I plan to country hop from Korea, so my materialistic and hoarding self had to change. Having said that, it's not like I don't plan to shop or retain memories through unique gems I find along the way, but I always Always ALWAYS overpack.

Having read multiple blogs and helpful tips since the preparations of this trip began, I knew I had to really cut back on what I was going to bring. The most helpful and wonderful website/blog I stumbled on, must've been this one. When I discovered it, I was honestly in awe that it was a merge of fashion and travel started by an fashionista who quit her corporate job to travel the world. She inspired me to pack with intention and thought while mixing up style with function.

Trust me when I say it wasn't easy. I'm the type who use to pack an outfit per day for my trips, and now cutting my wardrobe down to what I think is minimalistic is very drastic for me and explains my initial attempt back in February. This past week I kept filtering my list and asked myself the following questions while battle a case of What Ifs:

Will I wear this often enough to pack it? (don't just pack because you think you will 'miss' or  'maybe-need' the item!-I'm a victim of this)
 Is it durable for the length of time I'm traveling? (won't wrinkle, can wear multiple times before wash, stain-invincible, washer/dryer easy... no fancy treatment needed)
Can I buy this even if I didn't bring it reasonably? (things can be relatively cheap in Asia!)
As for shoes-is it comfy? will it match casual and dressy outfits? (don't bring a pair you will only wear once or twice aka heels)

One of the best takeaways from my readings was to only bring 3 pairs of shoes: 1 for walking/trekking (runners/closed toe), 1 for casual adventures (flats), & 1 for getting wet in (flipflops/ thong sandals). Shoes add up in weight, and having quality shoes is so important as it would be a waste to bring it half way across the world to throw it (I chucked out 2 pairs in NYC due to the wear and tear of walking & rain).

However, I know that I couldn't just be radical and go from a daily outfit gal to living off basically nothing, so in the end I decided against carry on and instead just a 24" luggage that I could check in. This would save me money and time if I did have to ship my purchases back home and allow me more ease in my packing choices. I know I'm the type to get sick of what I wear eventually so most clothing packing lists didn't catered to this nor my typical shopping choices either. Knowing that I usually purchase more tops then bottoms, I packed more shorts vs. tops. I also pack enough undies for a week and a half, which is when I usually do laundry as undies are one of those that you can't wear multiple times.

Packing has been a challenge, but definitely a learning experience of realizing how much I can actually live off of. My parents were even surprised and commented how 'little' I had packed. Usually I take advantage of the two free check in luggage allowance, carry on rolly, and personal baggage, but nope not this time. Imagine me lugging all these things from country to country-that would just be utterly ridiculous!

So my tip for packing: do what's best for your needs, but critically think about your travel style and really think each item through to maximize the potential of your wardrobe! You won't regret =) and who wouldn't love a new pair of shoes from an exotic place vs. having to say no because your luggage is full of unnecessary footwear?

Alright, I've got an early flight to catch, so later readers!

Until Korea!